“When women succeed, America succeeds.”
— House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi
California is the proud home of pioneering women who have blazed new trails in business, culture, and politics. We vigorously support a woman’s freedom to choose what’s right for her education, her career, and her health.
- We support equal pay for equal work, and equal access for women of all ages to training, jobs and promotions.
- We work to preserve confidential, unrestricted access to affordable, high quality, culturally sensitive health care services, including the full range of reproductive services, contraception and abortion, without requiring guardian, judicial, parental, or spousal consent or notification.
- California Democrats expanded access to safe family planning options for women in underserved rural areas.
- We support the programs of the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), including educational and preventive initiatives, especially those that serve women at risk of sexual and domestic violence.
- We recognize that freedom from domestic violence is a fundamental human right.
Dems Lead: Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein’s races for the U.S. Senate in 1992 led a surge of candidates that nearly doubled the number of women in Congress to 47. California Democrats are working today to promote more women to elected office and other leadership positions in the California Democratic Party.Photo: Emerge California